Cannot tell you how pissed off I get when someone spells it with two L’s.
Tired little boy. New York, circa 1940s.
By Ruth Orkin
Makes me miss those Sunday mornings working in the drug store. This kid looks just like Scooter. Scooter would come in every Sunday after service to buy his grandmother a newspaper and always dressed in this sharp little wool suit that made him look like he stepped straight out of Depression Era America, hat, shoes, tie and all. He was always so polite and well disciplined. Loved Scooter, I miss him as much as I miss that job.
The most difficult one minute of our Elementary childhood.
omg this stressed me out like no other
Quick, do all the zeros and then comeback for the rest.
no you know what it was a goddamn race
it was all about being the kid who flipped their paper over first and then looked at all your peers as they hear the flutter of paper
so much power
The teachers used this as a weapon to pin us against eachother
the legal hunger games
The Number Games
but it’s the division one that gave me nightmares and made me cry
I always failed the multiplication and division ones and ended up failing the fourth grade, it was great.
- "Poached." This is an egg cracked open and gently boiled out of the shell until the whites have congealed but the yolk is still runny. Poached eggs are great with potatoes, toast, or corned beef hash due to the great amount of runny yolk left for spreading or dipping. Most restaurants advertising eggs “any style” will poach eggs but some prefer not to outside of breakfast hours, since it involves boiling at least a small saucepan of water.At home, you can give it different flavors by poaching it in juice, wine or broth.
- "Scotch Egg." A Hard-Boiled egg that has been wrapped in Cumberland sausage and rolled in bread crumbs. Sometimes a soft-boiled egg is used.
- "Hard boiled." Everyone knows what a hard boiled egg is: an egg boiled in its shell for 13-15 minutes until the whites are firm and the yolk is solid.
- "Soft boiled." An egg boiled inside its shell, just like a Hard boiled egg, until the whites have set and the yolk has very slightly thickened. This is the “three minute egg” that gave us the three minute “egg timer”. PROTIP: It will continue to cook from residual heat within the egg, after you take it out of the water - run the egg (still in the shell) under some cold water immediately to stop the cooking process.
- "Scrambled." This is the other one everyone knows: the egg white and yolk are mixed together, sometimes thinned out with milk, cream, or water, and fried.
- "Fried" or "Over hard and break ‘em." Just ordering a “fried” egg gets an egg fully fried on both sides, slightly browned, with a broken yolk. They are good on sandwiches but leave no yolk to spread on potatoes or toast. All following eggs are considered to be variations of ‘Fried’
- "Over easy." What is usually thought of as a fried egg: pan fried on one side until cooked about halfway through, then flipped over and fried on the other side until the white has set. The edges can be a bit crispy but the yolk is still runny, albeit not so much as a properly done poached egg.
- "Over medium." Like an over easy egg, but cooked a bit more on the second side. The yolk will be somewhat thick or sticky, but not hard.
- "Over well" or "Over hard." An egg fried on one side as for “over easy”, then cooked on the other side until the yolk has completely set. Some cooks will break the yolk.
- "Sunny side up." The egg is fried on one side and not flipped. Sometimes a bit of frying fat is spooned over the top to set the white, or some water is tossed into the pan and a lid placed over the egg. Both of these methods are called "Basted", but this isn’t universally understood if requested and often done by default anyway. Some cooks will leave the white on the top is left unset and sticky.
I’ve always, ALWAYS cooked my eggs sunny-side-up-basted (w/water) but never knew what it was called, which has lead to some restaurant disappointments until Babby taught me otherwise. :D
Basted eggs on hot buttered toast is basically my favorite “simple” meal in the world.
My favorite is over medium, cook it until it’s slightly browned on the bottom then flip it and turn off the burner, leave it there while fresh grated cheddar melts on top and you heat up the bacon and toast the bread and BAM bacon, egg and cheese sandwich :D
My reaction when Roger Hodgson started following me lol only no one knew who he was, didn’t matter to me!
Lol, I can’t say I have ever heard of him either but still…Just in a little shock that it happened. Kinda feel like I should be careful what I post now. =P Even though its probably just a random follow considering I reblogged a photo at the right time. HA!
I posted how much I loved Supertramp and BAM follow lol I freaked! It may as well have been Roger Daltrey or Roger Taylor xD
“Some may disagree with this picture, but I absolutely love it. The other day my daughter and I staged a tea party with three of my most docile tarantulas. My daughter is three years old and is very cooperative. She loves her tarantulas and even joins in with the care and maintenance for these creatures. I have recently been hearing some negative comments from neighbors and friends about these mean, attack driven creatures. I decided I would take a photo that would lighten the mood about how dangerous tarantulas are assumed to be….docile unless tempted. I feel that all tarantulas should be considered “defensive” rather than “aggressive.” I hope you enjoy the picture. ”
It just goes to show you that the fear set within us of spiders isn’t entirely instinctual and is mostly taught.
omg this is great
wow this could have been me why am i not having a tea party with Ts???
Never did understand the fear of spiders or bugs, they are so teeny compared to us lol unless of course it is incredibly venomous. I had a tarantula once, he was a Chilean Rose Hair, fairly bomb proof fella and never showed any signs of aggression though I did not handle him but maybe once a week when I cleaned his tank. It must be noted however that the spider in the foreground has a bald spot from kicking hairs.